Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Summer Reading (JC)


I came to reading relatively late in life. It wasn’t until I was in my last years of high school that I began to immerse myself in books. I remember well the first book that really hooked me: Howard Fast’s April Morning, followed by Citizen Tom Paine.It’s not that we didn’t have books in my family; my mother was - and still is - a ferocious reader. I know that my parents must have read to me as a child - I’ve passed on to my children books that have my best elementary pencil printed name on the first page. But I found it hard to sit and absorb.
It probably didn’t help that we lived across the street from a playground where I spent after school hours, weekends and long summer days. I much preferred the organized activities of the park to reading. And of course what happened was I never learned - through practice - to be a good reader not to say anything about becoming a lover of books.
As I said, my interest grew in high school, but reading never clicked for me until the second semester of my first year of college. Then something happened and reading became a passion, which is where it has remained. I love to read and I am in the right profession to let my passion lead. It’s a blessing to make the time to be shaped by the discipline of reading, a discipline that provides depth and breath, reason and spirit, laughter, tears, anger and reflection.
I’m often asked what I am reading or plan to read. Summertime has always been an important time in my year because it’s when I hope to have a sustained period of time to read, think and plan. Books that I acquire during the church year often get shelved until the summer months. So, here is where I am this early August, here’s what I’ve read since returning from the General Assembly in Phoenix and what I plan to finish before we get back to two services. I can’t guarantee you’ll hear about each one of these books by name, but be assured that each has shaped some aspect of my thinking and planning.

If Life is a Game, These are the Rules - Cherie Carter-Scott

Three books by Marilynne Robinson: Gilead, Home, When I was a Child I Read Books

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore

Wild - Cheryl Strayed

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes

The Obama Question: A Progressive Perspective - Gary Dorrien

Collected Poems - Robert Hardy

Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life - Karen Armstrong

A Year to Live - Stephen Levine

Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics - Ross Douthat

Black Nature: Four Centuries of African-American Nature Poetry

The End of Illness - David B. Agus

Never Say Die: The Myth and Marketing of the New Old Age - Susan Jacoby


I hope you are having a restful, relaxing and reading-filled summer. See you soon,

Fred







1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about a couple of these books and look forward to adding them to my "to-read" list. I love that Lamb is also on this list! I've read it several times and own two copies. Christopher Moore is one of my all time favorite authors because he never fails to make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete