Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One Compassionate Land? (AZ)


During my second year of seminary, I had the honor of serving the National Council of Churches (NCC) as they worked to pass national health care reform.  The NCC is an ecumenical group of roughly 37 distinct Christian denominations, representing roughly 40 million Americans.  Despite the wide theological spectrum of its members, the NCC has been known for taking progressive stances on public policy issues – some critics jokingly refer to it as the “National Council of Communists.”   

What I discovered was that the NCC was not interested in set political positions, but rather in protecting the vulnerable.  Though many liberals ardently fought for single-payer health care; on this the NCC was neutral.  What I advocated for, instead, was to ensure that those most often overlooked by the system – the poor, the neglected, and the forgotten – were included in a national health care reform bill.  The NCC took this position, believing that each person deserves care (including medical care) as a child of God.  I agreed, because depriving people of essential medical care ignores their inherent worth and dignity – especially in a land of plenty. 

Under the bill, the major mechanism for universal health care was through an expansion of Medicaid.  Many Americans do not realize how many gaps currently exist under Medicaid, which is a joint state-federal program.  States have wide discretion over how expansive their program will be – who it will cover and what benefits they will receive.  For instance, New York State is currently the only state that covers childless, non-disabled adults up to 100% of the poverty line ($11,700 in income annually).   In most states, such adults have no access to health insurance regardless of how poor they are.  The Affordable Health Care act would cover the costs of states expanding eligibility to all adults up to 133% of the poverty line ($14,404) and increase access for working families.  It would also allow and provide funding for states to offer expanded benefit plans, so for instance dental care could be included. 

Now, after the Supreme Court ruling, the governors of several states have said that they will reject the federal offer to pay for their expanded Medicaid programs.  Analysts think that 4 million fewer Americans will receive care because of these governor’s decisions.  I cannot know what is in another’s heart, and so I will not judge these individuals.  Yet, their declarations greatly concern me.  When I was young, my family and I did not have health insurance.  I would often hide when I was sick, because we could not afford to pay a doctor.  In elementary school, I endured a week of pulsating pain in my jaw, until I finally confessed to my mother what was happening (I needed a root canal).  Children of 9 or 10 should not have to bear such burdens, both emotionally and physically. 

Sadly, we face circumstances where citizens might have to endure such harsh situations based solely on being a resident of one state versus another.  We face the prospect of a growing divide in our country – and not simply a political divide.  There will be a divide in access to health care – and the peace of mind and true health benefits that brings.  There will be a divide in experience – as some are cared for by their communities and others struggle while having their plight ignored.  For me, I cannot celebrate the Supreme Court decision when the fate of millions of people hangs in the balance.

In the face of such a divide, I pray.  I pray that we show ourselves to be a compassionate nation.  I pray that our duty towards one another overcomes our political fervor.  I pray that we commit ourselves to working towards a day when all have the same protections under the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment