Wednesday, August 22, 2012

RIDING THE CREST - Conscious Giving (JC)

Section Banner: Unitarian Universalists
Like many of you, I follow the UU Seven Principles and Six Sources as a guide for my life. These beliefs should not be seen as dogma or a creed but rather as guideposts for our lives.  I use them, daily, to help me navigate my moral compass in all situations that I'm presented.  I use these teachings to remind me of my highest aspirations.

In addition to the Seven Principles and Six Sources, I have also created seven ways of thinking that guide my life.  I believe when I have "right thinking" I am in line with my path, Spirit and life.  I have named this way of thinking "The Seven Principles of Consciousness.  They are:

 
            1.   Conscious Listening 
            2.   Conscious Learning
            3.   Conscious Loving
            4.   Conscious Giving  
            5.   Conscious Relating
            6.   Conscious Eating
            7.   Conscious Living

In this blog, I want to briefly focus on my 4th principle.

CONSCIOUS GIVING

To be conscious means we are aware of something.  Our awareness is shaped by our varying experiences.  Each day we learn something new.  My challenge to me is to be aware of what I am experiencing and learning.  I want to be fully present and in the moment so that I will not miss the lesson that is being given by life.

As a result of this awareness, I am conscious about my giving.  I ask, "How am I generous with my time, talent and treasure?  How am I being generous in my relationships--with my family, spouse, kids, colleagues, and congregants?  How is my generosity reflected in the quality of time I spend with folk in the community?  How am I using my gifts to serve others?  Am I sharing a positive word whenever possible?  Am I taking time to do the little things like holding the door for someone or buying the guys coffee ahead of me?"  Am I managing my financial resources in a faithful way?  Do I give, financially and generously to my church and other charitable organizations?  Am I active in any capacity where I am serving others who are not family or friends?"

When we are a conscious giver we are AWAKE and sensitive to our giving actions.

If you are not already, you can become a conscious giver today.  Just say, "I intend to be a conscious giver for the rest of my life" and you begin your new exciting path!  Yes, we all fall short of our expectation(s) but the goal is to keep reminding yourself to be generous and abundant in all that you say and do.  This is the secret to your success as a conscious giver.

In that light, I want to give you an opportunity to be generous.  The UUCA has an online store.  Books and other products you would normally purchase online can now be bought through our online store.  Here's how it works:
 
1. Go to the UUCA online store.
2. Click on "powered by amazon" in the upper right hand corner and anything you buy will benefit the UUCA. Thank you in advance for your generosity.

Love & Light,

Rev. John       
         

No comments:

Post a Comment