Wednesday, October 10, 2012

“Write the Vision, Make it Plain” (DG)


Vision


By Daniel Gregoire, Intern Minister
9 October 2012

...Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so that a runner may read it.  Habakkuk 2:2




Prophets and sages are constantly tasked with write down the things that they see and hear. It’s simply not enough to have the personal experience of a vision.  Having a prophetic mental picture of things to come, of fantastic new worlds or zombie apocalypses is one kind of thing—a miraculous thing. But to write it down is another, perhaps more important task.

Yet, is writing it down, “writing the vision”, enough?

 At least in the Jewish and Christian scriptures, we see people who are called out of their normal habits and places, sometimes even transported to wild and exotic locations to apprehend visions of the distant future, and then, somewhere in the middle of that experience (but, usually towards the end) they are reminded by a voice from on high, “Oh yeah, and, write this down!” It’s as if the act of seeing is just one part of the experience, but does not contain the whole thing.

There is a power in writing that extends far beyond the ink and paper. It seems to be able to move visions closer to reality.

You are going to hear a lot about vision this month. We have visions about the direction and places we want to see the congregation move towards. AWAKE ministries is a kind of vision that we are all excited about. And, there is the ongoing Stewardship Campaign, which is an expression of our commitment to supporting the many visions of the church. Just recently we were asked to attach our own individual “visions” to the giant “Vision Catchers” arrayed in the sanctuary. I took great pleasure in making those vision catchers before my recent trip to Boston.

 
We give life and substance to our visions by committing them to writing. Otherwise a vision is reduced to self-indulgence, a fantasy or even a delusion. We must share them with others, simply and plainly.
In fact, it is not even enough to share our visions by talking about them. The vision must also be plain enough so that a person could understand it while running. Can you imagine that? If you just told me your vision while I was running I could miss it. I would need to see it in writing, with the bigness and simplicity of a billboard sign. The letters would need to be huge, the font - very simple, sans serifs and perhaps the fewer letters, the better. Maybe we would have to write the vision and place it in a few locations?

“Write the vision, make it plain…” this text makes an undeniable claim on me, both as a minister and as a human being. It says to me that I must use all of the resources at my disposal: my mind, my mouth, my soul, and even my written words to testify. Through my writing I proclaim both the wonder of life as I see it and experience it, and I acknowledge the sufferings that are necessary and add meaning and depth to that precious life.

My vision has a lot to do with my faith in “Life”: creating and sustaining it, causing it to flourish in diverse forms and combinations- to the end that “All souls [all life] will grow into harmony with the divine”. That is a line from the covenant I affirmed every Sunday at my church in Brockton, Massachusetts and it was printed in the order of service.

How is it that writing makes things “real”?

I don’t know the exact mechanics behind it, but I would hazard a guess that writing is an act that somehow signals to the “universe” our growing capacity and readiness to participate in making the vision a reality. It moves us, and we move the vision further down the road. The author and teacher, Elizabeth Andrew in Writing the Sacred Journey: The Art and Practice of Spiritual Memoir describes writing as an opportunity to transform “…[a] longing into something of substance” and the chance to bind “…the inner world to the outer, satisfying [ones] desire to unite with creation.”

Writing the vision is an act of faith and deep confidence. How would we reveal our faith and confidence by writing? Would it be by writing a memoir (spiritual or otherwise)? Might we write poems, songs, or make entries in that journal we started sometime ago. (it’s been far too long since I last wrote in my journal)
Perhaps we could simply write an affirmation on a slip of paper “I am a spark of the divine” and tape it to the bathroom mirror. There are so many ways to “write the vision”; indeed, so many ways to confidently proclaim and create the reality of our aspirations.

In closing, I commend the song “The Vision” composed by Patrick Love; it is in the Gospel tradition of the African American Church, and it just one more way to communicate power of “writing the vision.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNWi6y4tEsc



Let me know what you write…

See you at church.

No comments:

Post a Comment