Monday, October 1, 2012

The Wife of Jesus


The Hollis Chair of Divinity at Harvard Divinity School holds special meaning for Unitarian Universalists.  The professorship is the first and oldest endowed position in the U.S. It began in 1721, back when HDS was understood to be Calvinist in its theology and direction.  But times changed and with the liberalizing of New England, the status quo was challenged.  In 1805, Henry Ware, Jr., a Unitarian, was elected to the Hollis Chair and from that point on HDS was considered Unitarian (today, it’s an interdenominational graduate school of theology from which many UUs graduate).  Needless to say, Ware’s promotion created quite the flurry of fury among the orthodoxy.  Today, the Hollis Chair is held by Karen Leigh King - the first woman to hold the office - an Episcopalian, who, like Ware, has caused quite a fuss and stir (maybe it comes with the job!).
On Tuesday, September 18 (2012), Dr. King presented a finding while attending an academic conference in Rome (of all places!).  You probably have read or heard about it: “She identified a small fragment of fourth-century papyrus that includes the words, ‘Jesus said to them, “‘My wife.’”  Another clause appears to say, “‘she will be able to be my disciple.’”  Uh-oh!  What next?  Now, before you go and get all Dan Brown on this (Brown is the author of the wildly popular The DaVinci Code which is based on a similar kind of revelation), step back, take a deep breath and finish this blog posting.
For me, this is really not about Jesus.  Though our theologies are quite different, I  understand (and if I were a Christian I would agree with) Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest who wrote a NY Times op-ed piece entitled “Mr. and Mrs. Jesus Christ?”  Martin’s bottom line is that King’s revelation will make little-to-no difference for his faith: “[Jesus’s] life, death and, most important, resurrection would still be valid.  Nor would I abandon my life of chastity, which is the way I’ve found to love many people freely and deeply.  If I make it to heaven and Jesus introduces me to his wife, I’ll be happy for him (and her).  But then I’ll track down Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, who wrote so soon after the time of Jesus, and ask them why they left out something so important.”  Yes, track them down Father Martin, and then after the gospel authors confirm that they included Jesus’s wife (girl friend, partner or disciple), then track down the early church leadership - the church fathers - and ask them about their editing, censorship and oppression that shaped the message they wanted Christians to hear and experience.  In other words, it’s all about power (and this is where Dan Brown got it right).
There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that women had critical and integral roles in the shaping of the early church; they played important roles in the life of Jesus.  We know that there are other scriptures that were hidden; we know that in the copying (rewriting) of scriptures, they were edited; we know that the early church created a male dominated, misogynistic hierarchy.  That Jesus may have been married makes him more human and appealing to me and, more importantly, I feel, makes church fathers and their followers more suspect.
I’m proud to have our way of faith associated with the Hollis Chair of Divinity at HDS!  Those who have held the position (since Ware, there was another Unitarian Universalist) have been progressive and prophetic truth-tellers who are compelled to share their findings, beliefs and vision.  As we prepare for October's theme of vision, may we all do the same.
    Take care and see you soon,
       Fred

P.S. - Following Sunday's service, several asked me for my "introduction" to UUism.  For those who were not in church, here's the context: I was role-playing what I would say if I went door-to-door sharing our faith - as the Mormons do. "Hi, I'm Fred Muir.  I live here in Annapolis.  I’m a Unitarian Universalist and you may have never heard about us, but we are the religion claimed by five Presidents of the United States, five Nobel Laureates, an abundance of American writers, poets, activists and yes, even some heretics. We are a religion of open minds, loving hearts and helping hands.  I'd like to leave you a pamphlet that tells you more.  Have a great day!"

1 comment: