Thursday, December 6, 2012

More on Mammon


Following my sermon (on the Prosperity Gospel) and then the Congregational Meeting at which we discussed and approved the budget for FY2013, a church member asked me: “So how do you serve both?”  I was confused: “Not sure what you mean?  How do I serve what ‘both’?”  “How do you serve both God and mammon.”
     She had taken in all of the morning’s events and was coming back to the Christian scripture I had quoted in the sermon: “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. No one can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other.  You cannot serve God and mammon.” (Matthew 6:24)  Mammon, I had explained, was a pejorative term early Christians used to describe excessive wealth, especially unjust gain and greed.  Mammon was personified as a false god.  Hence, Jesus was teaching, in what is commonly referred to as “The Sermon on the Mount,” you’ve got to choose between serving good (God) and evil (greed/Mammon).
     Continuing with my conversation: “I don’t think I serve both [God and mammon],” I said.  “Yes you do," she replied. "You’re a minister of the church and you’re the CEO.  You are serving God and mammon.  I'm just curious as to how do you do both?”
     She’s right.  I am a minister of the church and I fulfill a CEO-like role as the Senior Minister (operating under our version of policy governance).  For some - for her - there is an inherent conflict between those two roles; it’s like trying to serve God and mammon.  Honestly, before I had to do them both - at the same time - I would have said there was a conflict; I would have dismissed doing them both as not real ministry.  But I don’t see it that way any more.  Now I say: What better way to do ministry than to help give direction to our shared resources of material, time and spirit; I cannot think of a greater challenge than to bring the full passion and commitment of the members and friends to shaping the Beloved Community (of dignity, respect and justice for all); I am committed to a ministry with you which aligns our shared treasure with our collective heart.  It’s in this sense that the inspiration and experience of Sunday worship and the FY2013 budget are deeply connected for in each we name what we value and aspire to; each names hopes, yearnings, dreams, needs, and expectations.  These are the very things that all people seek in order to arrive at completeness and meaning.  I don’t believe there is anything mammon-like about these.  The inspiration, commitment and vision - the resources that we bring to our ministry - that help us shape the Beloved Community is where our heart is; this is a sacred and holy aspiration.  I don’t see any false gods there; Mammon doesn’t live here.
     “I don’t serve both,” I said in my conversation.  “As your Senior Minister, I believe my ministry and the congregation’s vision are one and the same.  Mammon, as I referred to it in my sermon, describes greed and unjust and undeserved wealth.  That doesn’t describe what UUCA is about.”  There was a pause.  “Hmmm,” she replied.  “I’ll have to think about that.”
     That’s all we can ask.  Be thoughtful, reflect.  In this season of Advent - of heightened expectation and anticipation - where is your “treasure” and where is your “heart”?  Are they in alignment?  Blessed be! if they are.  But if not, what will help to steer you away from “mammon”?
     See you soon and take care … and have a great December!
              Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment