Wednesday, June 27, 2012

RIDING THE CREST (JC)


I am so pleased and thankful to have been given the opportunity to be the Sunday morning preacher at this year's General Assembly in Phoenix, Arizona.  For those who missed the worship service , you missed a treat!  There were 192 voices in the choir, a large house band, and over 4,000 people in attendance singing along jubilantly to hymns and choir songs. Your ministers were all participants in the service and by the number of comments we received after worship ended, we could all conclude that the service was a success.

I want to personally thank Marty Day for making the lovely stoles you see in the photo.  As I said in the sermon, "We looked marvelous!"  I also want to say "thank you" to those UUCA members who came all the way to Phoenix to support us.

For me, this powerful service marks the end of my church year and the beginning of summer.  As I go into the month of July, I plan to take time for study.  I am looking forward to reading several books.  I have a few I'd like to recommend to you, as these books more than likely will influence my ministry here with you in the coming months.


  • The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander (She was one of the worship leaders at GA)
  • The Persistence of the Color Line by Randall Kennedy (Fred's recommendation)
  • How We Decide by John Lehrer
  • It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It by Robert Fulghum
  • Voice from the Margins by Jacqui James and Mark Morrison-Reed
  • The New Species: A Vision of the Evolution of The Human Being by Dr. Cherie Carter-Scott
  • Guns, Germs, and Steel:  The Fates of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond
I am so thankful to you, UUCA, for allowing me the spiritual time needed to continue the vibrant ministry we have together.  We have had a great church-year!  We have lived boldly and compassionately.  I look forward to continuing the journey with you soon.

In the name of Love,

Rev. John

 

No comments:

Post a Comment