Monday, April 9, 2012

Faith at its Best…. (AZ)

Religious historian William Cantwell Smith wrote, "Faith at its best has taken the form of a quiet confidence and joy which enable one to feel at home in the universe." Unitarian Universalists also believe that our faith journeys are meant to lead us to joy and confidence in our ability to be at home in the universe.
Recently, I have used this quote and some related questions to guide my spiritual practice. First I reflected:
  • What are my blessings?
  • What difficult situations have I faced? What enabled me to get through these situations?
  • What ultimately keeps me keeping on?
  • What can I affirm?
  • What gives me the quiet confidence and joy which enables me to feel at home in the universe?

From there I started to design….

My first art reflection related to a wonderful, theological poem by Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno, You can try to strangle light. From her poem, I borrowed the idea of having faith in the passage of time, in the continuity of the sun always rising, in life seeking one out. I placed a green circle below my boat, to reflect the living life of which I am a part. In this green circle is an eye, which represents the deep grounding I experience in witnessing to other’s lives and to having mine witnessed in return. My boat represents the great journey I am on, and my recognition that I depend upon smooth skies, steady wind, and safe harbors. Finally, the rainbow (in chakra colors) represents the covenant that I have with the universe and with myself. I covenant to show up for others and to respect the worth and interdependence of all life.

I thought that this was my response. Until I re-did the exercise again last week.

This time, it had different nuances. My base was not the sun, but the starscape. I feel great wonder and humility at living amongst trillions of stars. I feel loss at the fact that light pollution blocks this starscape from our view. Even with the beauty of the stars, the earth still has an oversized place in my heart – particularly its mountains. Upon this planet, I affirm my desire for harmony, for humans to live into the beloved community. I expressed this by having small figures dancing in a circle, holding hands. The earth is held by a heart. To me this represents the spirit of love that pervades our existence, and how we are meant to listen to the heartbeat of the universe.

Both of these art reflections are my true, and quick, answers to these deep questions. By doing this exercise twice I recognize that I find meaning, purpose and affirmations in many places. I hope this week that you also find time to explore these questions; through this exercise or another.

Blessings upon your week,

Anastassia Zinke

No comments:

Post a Comment