Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Justice for Trayvon Martin and All Our Children! (JC)

Last Sunday I was in the front row, just sitting and listening, when I looked up and saw my youngest son, Zephyr, standing beside me pointing to the seat nearest me. He wanted to sit with his daddy. I put my arm around him and held him close. I cherished this moment, as it doesn’t happen as much as I’d like. As I clung to his gangly body, I felt the thickness of his jacket. I looked at him and I saw Trayvon Martin.

Zephyr was wearing a hoodie with his hood on during worship.

After church, I saw Trayvon again. My oldest son, JT, had his Batman hoodie on. He thinks he’s a superhero these days… Last Sunday I saw, in both my children, that they too could be innocent victims like Trayvon. I realized that I could no longer be silent about the murder of this innocent kid less than a month ago. As an African American man raising black boys, I have to take a stand and I’m asking you to join me!

This Saturday, March 31st, at noon, I will be joining members from All Souls Church in a “Rally for Justice” on Judiciary Square in Washington DC (5th and F Streets, NW, red line metro).  PLEASE JOIN ME! Look for the Annapolis banner along with my hoodie and stole.

And on Sunday April 1st, I invite you to wear a hoodie to church in solidarity with all who seek justice for Trayvon Martin’s family.

See you this weekend!

- Rev. John Crestwell

No comments:

Post a Comment